Saturday, January 8, 2011

Spin Workout - Sprint Intervals

Oh My God!

My husband turns to me and says "What is the ride about tomorrow?" Good question I think but reply "I don't know, yet" with an attitude of course. I know that it won't be a theme ride, those take time to think out to plan and have to be inspired, just don't have one right now. Then he turns to me and says "Just don't make me do any long hill, or anything for a long period of time, 75% is o.k. but anything else, yuk." So I did what any good wife would do and said "Well then you plan it" and so it was born.

Track sprint work out. Imagine a track, oblong in shape with two straight a ways and two curves, that is it, just a track. And you are going to run or pedal around this track multiple times with break away sprints for 30 seconds each, 30 second of recovery, 30 seconds of speed, then 4 to 5 minutes recovery time. Sounds boring? Easy? Not enough hard work? Hey Jen, where are the hills, jumps, the 75% song? I know that will be the response for my usual Saturday crowd. "Oh Great another, lack luster cycle class" I can just hear it now.

So the Club opens just on time, we all pile into the group fitness room, freezing, grab our bikes, move them out of the haphazard line that they are placed in, and set them up. 8:00am starts, and everyone still is talking, coats still on, blah, blah, blah. We should be starting already, my mind says. I just close my eyes (yes that is correct, sitting on a bike in front of 12-15 people I close my eyes) put my head down, breathe and prepare myself to teach this class. I am getting distracted, mad actually at all the talking. "You're killin me, just killin me" I say into the microphone. Gets maybe 2 to 3 peoples attention. Then I just begin....."Today is NOT a theme ride" still talking, not even paying attention,"There are NO jumps, NO hills, No 75% song" a few more people are coming on board "YOU ARE KILLIN ME" spoken into the microphone, a little bit louder with more gusto. I get off the bike, and now, NOW, I have everyone's attention.

How to Save a Life 4:24 The Fray
Warm up, see above. Explain the ride, I want you to picture a track, just a plain simple track.... You will be sprinting for 30 seconds with a 30 second recovery and then a recovery song. We will do this 5 times, each sprint set with more interval of sprints every time. No reaction, Still Talking, HA! Here we go!!

Move Your ASS 3:52 Scooter
Round One: 22 seconds start your sprints....Three 30 second sprints with 30 second recoveries. Groans complaints, people weren't ready, not enough warm up,... yup, I think, maybe now you will not talk so much from 8:00am on (Husband being one of the biggest offenders in this area)

Boys of Summer 4:43 Don Henley Eagles
Recovery, concentrate on Breathing, see the track, loosen up the upper body, Breathe...Explain how the first sprint may not have felt good, you didn't have enough warm up, you need to use this time to loosen up the body, so you can do the next set better

Tubular Bells 4:10 Book Of Love
Round Two: Sprints Four 30 second sprints with 30 second recoveries, Breathe, Form, imagine that track coach right on the side of the straight a ways, timer in hand, evaluating your form, pushing you on....

Listen to the Music(DJ Malibu Mix) The Doobie Brothers 5:01
Recovery...Second set down, three to go, what could you have done better? What are you made of? Why did you get up this morning?

Origins(Pt 1.) 4:11 Cold Fusion featuring Joe Cortes
Round Three: Four 30 second sprints with 30 second recoveries...

I'd Do Anything for love 5:14 Meatloaf
Recovery song, more that half way over, you are totally warmed up now, joints are loose, you know what is coming up... Breathe!

Ready to Go 5:01 Republica
Round Four: FIVE 30 second sprints with 30 second recoveries....
Talk to them here... relax the shoulders... lighten up on the grip... you can do this..

I Don't Care Anymore 5:06 Genesis
Recovery..use this time... you have one set left...it is SIX sprints..
.. positive coaching, you can do this, you can give more, DON'T THINK, JUST MOVE!

Fast Cars 6:35 (2006 Ryder Extended Mix) Hellbent
Round Five: start at 35 seconds into the song, SIX 30 second sprints with 30 second recoveries...I did the first two with the class, the next three I got off the bike and walked around them, the last sprint I was back on the bike. I told them this so that way they knew there was no cheating, that I was going to be right next to them..I wanted them to push themselves.. positive coaching.

I Gotta Feeling 4:49 Black Eyed Peas
Finally recovery...breathe, stretch, walk along the track, congratulations to you... YOU DID IT!!

Layla 4:46 Eric Clapton
Cool Down, Stretches

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer,
    I am a big fan of interval training in general, so this post made me grin.
    Question: resistance? I know you say sprints, but are all of these intervals at light resistance. Or do you dial it up at any time?
    Thanks!
    Steve

    ReplyDelete